Being one of the most famous ski resorts in India, Gulmarg is a scenic town located in the Pir Panjal Range in the western Himalayas. The alluring town is home to alpine forests, flower meadows, and pastoral scenes, enough for countless Instagram-worthy pictures. Also known as the ‘Meadow of Flowers’, Gulmarg is surrounded by deep ravines, snow-capped peaks, and forested valleys. With so many places to visit in Gulmarg, the time that you will get to spend in the lap of nature would be generous.
1. Skii, Catch Your Breath, Repeat
A famous destination for skiing, Gulmarg is where the adventure-seekers get to slide down the open slopes. Words fall short of expressing what an exhilarating experience it is! If you are up for it then this is the place to be.
So, if you ever decide head to Gulmarg for a skiing vacation, here is a Gulmarg ski guide that will really come in handy.
2. Skiing in Gulmarg
A cable car circuit called the ‘Gulmarg Gondola’ takes travellers to an incredible height of almost 4,000 metres above sea level. From here, you can experience a skiing track that goes for about 5 kilometres down the hill. When it comes to skiing in Gulmarg, the experience is truly incomparable. Adventure enthusiasts who wish to experience the ultimate thrill can head to the Shark Fin which is said to be the ideal place for powder skiing. Situated at the back of the gigantic Mount Apharwat, it is a favoured slope for expert skiers.
There are also many bunny slopes for amateurs in the town. If one practice for a day, then they can also ski down Phase 1 from Apharwat’s base. For intermediate skiers, Mary Shoulder would be perfect. Experienced backcountry skiers can go to the off-pistes and pistes of Sunrise Peak, Sunset Peak, east of Trajan Bowl of Apharwat, Jamiah Gulley, and Monkey Hill. Sunset Peak provides only off-pistes and offers optimum conditions for heli-skiing.
Being one of the best places for skiing in India, Gulmarg fares well on many fronts, such as good road access, quality of snow, and lift infrastructure. One of the great things about Gulmarg is how accessible it is. Even if you land in Srinagar, you can reach Gulmarg in 90 mins by road. Further, it is a popular honeymoon destination, which is why several newlywed couples tend to book their Kashmir honeymoon package with a trip to Gulmarg included in the itinerary.
3. Your Ski Guide for Gulmarg
Seeking a ski resort in Gulmarg makes a lot of sense when you are going for a skiing vacation. While finding one for yourself, here is some good-to-know information: –
- Gulmarg’s slopes are perfect for people who are new to skiing as well as for people who are well-experienced.
- Gulmarg is home to 6 bunny slopes which have gentle inclines and are perfect for beginners. On the other hand, for expert skiers, the town also houses slopes in the higher reaches.
- A team of experts regularly patrols the region to check the safety standards in Gulmarg. The team makes sure that swift action is taken in places where there’s a higher risk of accidents.
4. Important Tips to Remember
Here are some important tips to remember when you go skiing in Gulmarg: –
- When you plan to go for skiing, good footwear is an essential thing to have.
- Do not forget to keep medicines for cold and flu.
- Ensure you pack a lot of warm clothes; jackets that provide insulation are highly recommended.
- Going for some medical tests to ensure you are healthy enough is highly suggested before you head out to Gulmarg for skiing.
- Make sure you check that you don’t have altitude sickness before going on such a trip.
- Follow the tips given by your instructor extremely seriously.
5. The Best Time to Ski in Gulmarg
The best time to ski in Gulmarg may vary. Normally, the skiing season in Gulmarg is short i.e. from mid-January to the end of February. But the seasonal cycle has become more and more whimsical because of the recent changes in climate. That is why it may also begin in mid-December and finish in March at times. It is important to know about Gulmarg’s skiing season before you plan to visit this beautiful town. You can choose from the many Gulmarg skiing packages to plan the perfect trip. With a pre-planned package, you can concentrate on having a good time without having to worry about the nitty-gritty details.
6. Interesting Facts about Idyllic Gulmarg
Not all is as it seems!
Apart from being one of the most rewarding ski destinations, Gulmarg is blessed with incredible amounts of snow. But the town is actually not as cold as it may seem.
7. It is the ‘home of skiing’ in India!
Ok, we might have taken the liberty to say that but it isn’t far from the truth. The Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering is also located in Gulmarg. The institute offers courses on mountaineering, trekking, canoeing, paragliding, hot air ballooning, parasailing, and white water rafting apart from skiing in Gulmarg. Established in 1969, the institute is known for conducting corporate activities and adventure courses as well.
Sip some kahwa, please.
Also, do not forget to have some ‘Kahwa’ on your Gulmarg trip. It is a famous Kashmir tea that you can have when you tour and explore Gulmarg.
In all honesty, Gulmarg looks like one big ski resort, offering pristine views of nature and an opportunity to go on a whirlwind, adrenaline-packed adventure. Skiing in Gulmarg, India is a seasonal delight that calls out to all the adventure enthusiasts and adrenaline junkies out there! The price of skiing in Gulmarg brings along an experience that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!