The picture-perfect imagery of the islands of Greece that are painted in Blue and White. As represented in every photograph or postcard of the nation. It is peculiarly interesting why! What do you imagine when someone says, Greece? Many minds involuntarily have the idea of irreplaceable blue and white houses adorned by the sea. It is equally interesting to note that not as many ask why! So let us unfold this mystery gracefully. Because the stories behind them will conspire to keep you engrossed in reading more and more about it!
Many come to believe that the colours are taken from the flag! But the factual traces of the Greek flag state that it was adopted on the 22nd December 1978. Decades before, during the ages of pirates, the idea of blue and white didn’t even pop into the heads of the Greeks. Instead, the houses were not painted at all and were made from the vernacular stone.
If you read the Greece travel guide, you might find that the houses remained colourless for them to easily blend with the landscapes, as a strategy against the pirate raids in the Aegean. Designs of Mykonos town will let you indulge in the peculiar observation of how it is all like a maze. As you travel here along with your Greece tour packages you will realise how funnily mind-blowing is their strategy of the maze. Constructed only to confuse the pirates and buying more time for the locals to escape. You will truly feel how perfectly beautiful it can now be to be lost in the beautiful alleys that once served as the best escape plan for some!
Later during the age of the Ottoman Turks, from 1453 with the fall of Constantinople, Greece faced a lot of change. Ottoman Turks were the invaders who controlled the entire Middle East along with the Balkans, reaching as far as Vienna! Until the revolution of 1821, Greece remained under their rule. During their rule, the Ottoman Turks wouldn’t allow the Greeks to represent their patriotism for their nationality. To revolt against the rulers, the Greeks started painting the houses with ecological paint of white later adding up the blue.
The nine stripes of the Greek flag represent the nine syllables of the phrase "Eleutheria H Thanatos". It translates to "Freedom or Death." The white paint also gives bioclimatic benefits by keeping the houses cooler in the scorching heat of Greece. The Cycladic islands followed the trend. Santorini, on the other hand, had colourful houses, which can still be witnessed in some places when you travel with any Greece holiday packages. Painted in the shades of dark red, brown, ochre, cyan, white and also light blue, Santorini managed to grab a lot of attention even then.
Later during the years of 1967 – 1974, a military government established their power in Greece. They set a political agenda of displaying uniformity across the landscapes. Therefore, stating a rule of re-painting all the houses in blue and white. Thereby, the towns started reflecting the colours of their flag. Even Santorini was re-painted because of the rule. Slowly it started becoming the trademark of Greece. Once implemented as a political strategy, shed such an exceptional limelight to the country. It was sooner seen as the touristic attraction for everyone across the globe. The Greece white buildings endorsed with blue brought a lot of forex to the country through the remarkable boost in tourism. Now every postcard of the Greek land reflects these exact same shades making it a hype amongst the travellers.
Turn back the clock and you’ll realise that there’s so much to this particular destination. Travelling along with any of your Greece tour packages you will witness the intensity of the hype. Travelling to different destinations only gets meaningful when the smallest of the aspects narrate a whole new story. Which may hide such an intriguing history behind them, make it something that the curious minds of humans crave for. This is something that your Greece travel guide will love to narrate and will get one of the most interesting conversations.
Traverse through these lands and watch the unique legends unfold in front of you. This kingdom of beauty and tranquillity will surprise you with our Greece tourism packages from India. Experience the history that dates back to the origin of time, placed in a country which is known to be the cradle of modern civilisation. Let it reveal them all as you explore this realm along with Greece travel packages. Veena World’s handcrafted Greece holiday packages are made with a motto to celebrate the lands epic glory. The Greece holiday itinerary includes the main highlights to frame perfectly crafted Greece tour packages which include some of the best Greek islands for couples like Athens, Mykonos and Santorini.
- Explore Athens known as the capital and largest city of Greece along with Greece tourism packages from India. Stroll around Athens wherein you come across Hadrian’s Arch Monument. It known to be a part of a wall separating the old and new cities of Athens. Explore Parthenon, which is an enduring symbol of western civilization and Royal Palace. Visit a majestic colossal ruined temple, Temple of Olympia Zeus.
- Explore Mykonos by ferry along with our Greece holiday packages. Take a remarkable walk down the Mykonian history 'alley', coastal paved road. Visit the Manto Square, where the famous monument of Manto Mavrogenous. Visit little Venice, five in row windmills, which still stand proudly. While you explore it, pass by Church of 'Panagia Paraportiani.' Visit Santorini Island by ferry. Santorini is known as ‘Black Pearl of Aegean’ and is one of the most spectacular Greek islands.
- Take a guided tour of the Santorini village given by Greece travel guide, with our Greece tour packages. You will get a chance to see Prophet Ilias monastery, Pyrgos village and Megalochori village. Explore The Blue Dome of Santorini, Oia village and the famous sunset point along with it. And, of course, Athens, it is best known for the Acropolis Site and Museum.
- Explore the Corinth Canal along with our Greece holiday packages. It connects Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf in the Aegean Sea. Explore it along with our affordably priced Greece travel packages. Along with our Greece tourism packages from India, visit the Treasury of Atreus also known as the Tomb of Agamemnon. Visit Ruins of Mycenae, Beehive tombs known as the burial structure resembling beehives. Explore the healing temple, the Lion Gate, Sanctuary of Asclepius. Also, add the Amphitheatre in your itinerary.
- Explore the famous Greek islands through the Saronic Cruise. Cover three of the most beautiful islands of Saronic Gulf; Aegina, Poros and Hydra along with our Greece holiday packages. Delphi awaits you for a walk into the ‘Sacred Way’. An unforgettable visit to Temple of Apollo, Delphi Museum, Delphi Theatre and Temple of Anthana await you along with our unique Greece tour packages.
The land of the Greek has managed to leave everybody spellbound since ages. Even now the reputation remains unchanged. The Greece white buildings adorned with beautiful blue domes, remain one of the many reasons that make the Cycladic islands into the list of best Greek islands for couples. Whatever might be your reason, Greece is your place to be! For wanting to escape into the sounds of the ocean. And, even for the rhythm of the waves, the symphony of Greece is ready to resonate. Greece is definitely one of the most exotic cradles of modern civilization and one of the most exceptional holiday destination. Greece cannot give you enough reasons to be your next dream destination!