Jaisalmer found its roots in the 12th century when it was established by the Yadav king, Maharawal Jaisal Singh. The city was thus named ‘Jaisalmer’ after the erstwhile ruler who first created and maintained this desert city in the midst of the Thar Desert.
Even today, it is fondly known as the Golden City of India owing to the extensive use of yellow sandstone in the construction of many of its houses, forts and buildings. The golden or yellow shade also refers to the never-ending desert in which the city is situated and flourishes. In spite of being in the midst of a dry arid region, the city has managed to attract hordes of tourists every year. A Jaisalmer tour package offers all the delights and attractions that define the rich culture and history of this Rajput state. When one looks to experience a cultural, historical and memorable journey along with a dash of folk music and dance, then looking for Jaisalmer holiday packages, is never far from their mind.
A city that looks golden, feels golden and lives golden! Jaisalmer is the shimmering golden hue in the palette of colours that is Rajasthan. Located in the heart of Thar Desert, this remarkable city is the prime example of how culture and royalty have seeped into the vast corners of this state. A Jaisalmer tour package gives you all the nuances of a rich princely region along with the arid landscape of the golden, never-ending desert. Prominent features of this sun-kissed land are the magnificently adorned havelis, monumental Jaisalmer fort, the rich culture, ancient traditions and the desert camels that define the very soul of our Jaisalmer holiday packages. Bathed in yellow sandstone from the forts to houses, from buildings to palaces, one gets to experience the golden yellow hues of this land in any of our Jaisalmer tour package. Rajasthani folk music and dance play a pivotal role in the shaping of this desert region and are essential highlights of any Jaisalmer tour package.
The Golden Rajasthan Culture
To understand the culture of Rajasthan, many scholars have spent their lifetime studying the unique attributes of this remarkable land. The priceless treasures of this land have been not only notable part of Rajasthan’s history but also a crucial aspect of the Indian heritage. Most of being so majestic that it rose up to be the imagery of India to the world outside! Architectural wonders, exquisite handicrafts, colourful culture and tempting cuisine are few of the many highlights of this magnificent state. Set amidst a vast desert, the magical land of Rajasthan is synonymous with royal romance and chivalry. Jaisalmer of which being the golden crown jewel of the majestic state. Situated in the heart of the Thar Desert, the city is an epitome of Rajput culture! Rajasthan festivals, funfairs, traditional events and religious occasions are all celebrated with great fervour and passion in this land. The city is synonymous with brilliant folk dances popularized as Rajasthani dance and Rajasthani instruments that are expertly played by many of the locals here. Our Jaisalmer holiday packages trace these factors and strive to make them a part of your Jaisalmer experience. The Kathputhli, a traditional puppet show, the Ghoomar dance, camel festival, desert tent stays etc. are all an integral part of the Rajasthani cultural experience which can go a long way in defining your quintessential Jaisalmer tour package. The numerous havelis, villages, forts, palaces, people and even the cuisines of this city sing of the ancient relics and tales of the bygone era. With our Jaisalmer honeymoon package, it is now easy to experience the range of different hues of the Rajput Marwad culture and enter the world of royal romance.
It is rightly said that ‘one can read, one can listen, one can talk about a place but when one actually experiences the place, that is when he truly understands it and lives it’. The experience of being and staying in the desert city is one that can be never forgotten. Every wall, lane and molecule of sand seems to reverberate the victorious takes of their beloved Kings and Queens. To be amidst a culture of such hospitable, courteous people who go about their day with a constant smile and a deep love for their traditions and art is truly an experience one should have once their lifetime. Here are few cultural and remarkable insights of the Golden land that you should know before you go!
Interesting Cultural insights of the Thar Dessert:
- Rightly named as ‘The Great Indian Desert’, Thar Desert forms a natural boundary between India and Pakistan. Rich in culture and full of colour, it is a grand open-air museum that portrays art in vibrant shades.
- The locals of Thar imbibe a great passion for music and poetry which is probably passed down in the genes of their ancestors. Till the night falls, the artistic passionate locals get together in their Rajasthani dress, as they play folk music and enjoy a Rajasthani dance.
- Rajasthani folk music is often about the fables of the victorious Kings and the glories of their reign and memories of their Queens. With their unique cultural dance and music, they not only bring Rajasthan culture to life but display their pride in celebrating their heritage.
- The unique Rajasthan desert festival which is held once a year during winters is one of the most interesting festivals in India. The ‘ship of the desert’ play a very important role in the desert life and thereby its presence is honoured in the Desert Festival, Rajasthan folk and rich culture can be seen in this festival.
- The stereotypical portrayal of India that the western world took, seems to be actually picked up from the Desert Festival. With snake charmers, folk performers, puppeteers, handmade art and handicrafts being the major attraction of the festival, it paints a perfect aura of Rajasthan
- The traditional attire of this kingdom, the Rajasthani dress itself displays a lot of cultural significance. Bright colours, intricate designs, mirror works and beautiful artworks, all make a part of the single dress. The attire has established such unique identity that it’s easy to distinguish between the many!
- The Thar Desert stores the evolutionary records of millions of years ago, literally! The Desert National Park of Jaisalmer treasures a valuable collection of fossils of the flora and fauna dating back to 180 million years old! Some fossils of Dinosaurs dating back to 6 million years have also been excavated from this area.
The Golden city of India is an amalgamation of places to visit in Jaisalmer with unique travel experiences! Be amazed and astounded by the many architectural wonders and delights that the city has to offer. Travel back in time and in the era of the reign of the crown. Feel their tradition and culture like your own! Right from the massive fort that guards the city with its 99 bastions to the golden sand dunes that highlight and elevate the beauty of this city, all the monuments and attractions are worth visiting and storing in your mind’s eye forever. Following are the popular picks from the many Jaisalmer tourist places and experiences that you should not miss!
Popular places to visit in Jaisalmer and its unique activities:
- Jaisalmer Fort or Sonar Qila (Golden Fort) as it is locally called. The massive Jaisalmer fort is a popular landmark of the city with a huge complex, gigantic ramparts and settlements, shops being established inside the premises of the fort.
- Visit the beautiful Jain Mandir followed by the magnificent Patwon ki Haveli – a five-story elegantly carved unique piece of architectural marvel. One of a kind museum which features intricate carvings, unique furniture and stunning artworks.
- Witness one of the most notable architectural specimens of Rajasthan and an important one among the Jaisalmer tourist places, Nathmalji ki Haveli. This extraordinary piece of art and a fine example of artistic symmetry will redefine aesthetics for you!
- Take an in-depth insight into the history and culture of this city, with a visit to the Jaisalmer Museum. Walk back to the time and witness what’s left back as its traces to be an immortal part of the history.
- Experience the sun, sand and dunes at the Sam Sand Dunes of Jaisalmer. Get a real taste of Golden city of India, as you enjoy a joyful camel ride, a traditional puppet show, a beautiful folk dance and witness a breath-taking sunset over the dunes that etch an everlasting memory in our hearts and mind.
- These spectacular experiences are followed by a delicious Rajasthani meal and a unique chance to be one with the desert by staying in tents amidst the sand dunes of Jaisalmer.
- The amazing journey of the exploration of Jaisalmer tourist places is completed with a visit to the Jaisalmer War Museum that pays tribute to the bravery and courage of the Indian army brave hearts. Truly an eye-opening and enriching experience!
The Land of the Kings welcomes every visitor to walk through their legacy. Time simply turns back with Rajasthan and takes you directly to the heart of the royal era. The world of lavish, chivalrous Kings and gorgeous yet fearless queens, reverberates their immortal tales in all of the forts and palaces of Rajasthan. The land full of romance, royalty, spirituality and nature, is a vast and wonder-laced kingdom with treasures more sublime than those of fables. Explore luxurious palaces, witness vintage cars, enjoy camel safaris in golden sand dunes, a fun shopping time in bazar and embark on a tiger safari in the wild forests of the state. All of it will add a whole new charm to your Jaisalmer honeymoon package, in the lands of history that narrate the immortal royal love for ages! The Land of the Kings paints a bold image indeed! The sun-kissed forts, the vibrating handcrafts, the heart-warming people and the land of medieval beauty has always been the perfect choice for every kind of traveller. It’s a perfect escape from the fast-paced life of the cities, straight into the simplicity of the village culture and rich tradition. This simplicity nevertheless is bound with its unique kind of lavish royalty attached to the reputation of this land’s history. The enriching cultural heritage of the Thar Desert and the unique tourist places of Jaisalmer are the perfect royal solace for every kind of traveller! Plan your own trip to this kingdom as you travel back n time and walk on the trail of the victorious Kings and Queens and feel exactly what they felt in those eras!